Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Storytime

So, late last week, I returned from a fabulous road trip up the coast of California w/ my hubby and brother-in-law.

I thought I would post some photos and some stories from our adventure, just for kicks.

*************************************
Part 1 of the trip... camping in Big Sur.

It was frickin' cold at night! But we were prepared.

Now, most of you don't know, but my husband and I will soon be heading on a year-long trip around Europe and its surrounding areas. We will be leaving in September of this year... AND, lucky for you, we'll be posting about our adventures throughout the entire trip.

I specifically plan on discovering how capable I am at keeping up an exercise program while living on the road (and in a camper van for a couple months while my husband surfs the coast of Ireland...). Plus, I'll be attempting to keep up a healthy eating schedule while exploring different countries and different cultures.

Last week's road trip was a sort of dress rehearsal for that upcoming extended road trip. Of course, I'm a little scared about packing for the bigger trip...

Anyway, in these photos, JD and I are eating our egg scrambles, which we cooked over the campfire.





*************************************
And, besides some of the outdoor bodyweight workouts I accomplished, there was hiking galore!
Here are a few of my favorite shots from our many breathtaking hikes.











*************************************
Part 2 of the trip... Santa Cruz.
Without all the students in town from UC Santa Cruz, we ran into alot of tourists, aging hippies, and bums. Pretty interesting town. Got some good hiking in here as well, I was able to workout at the local Crossfit, but unfortunately, the waves were not in JD's favor. We'll have to head back up to the original "surf city" some other time for that!


I think I was a monkey in another life!


Me and part of the crew at CrossFit Santa Cruz.
Thanks for letting me join in, guys!

*************************************
Part 3 of the trip... San Fran!!
I didn't have time to go to Cross Fit San Francisco, but I did work out with Jenn Pattee of Basic Training San Francisco on New Year's Eve. Thanks for the butt-kicking, Jenn! And thanks to our hosts, Natalie and Craig, for letting us crash on their floor, and for taking us to some of the most amazing restaurants and cafes during our short visit.

We walked A LOT in this beautiful city... and met up w/ some our close friends from Chicago. Amazing!








All in all, it was a perfect break from the everyday stuff. We had an eclectic mix of experiences, a good amount of activity, a bit of rest, and lots of yummy food.

My battery has been recharged, and I'm ready to motivate you all in 2009!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Kim & JD! The trip sounds awesome and the pictures prove it. I'm excited to hear about a year through Europe!