Monday, January 26, 2009

Pushing to the absolute limit

You exercise.

You want to improve at exercise.

So, hopefully (if you've been following my advice), you approach your workouts with intensity and attempt to push yourself to your limit. As often as you can.

But do you really reach your limit?

Not the limit your brain has set for you...

Not the point where you think, "oh crap, it hurts so bad - I don't think I can do any more!'"

But pushing past what your mind perceives as 'safe'... shutting off those signals that bring our bodies back into balance. The body doesn't like extremes. It doesn't want you to get to that limit - because that's an extreme and because that's uncomfortable.

But if you want to progress to levels that are 'impossible', you need to go to the extreme. Progress will not occur if you simply play it safe.

Now, I'm not talking about hurting yourself by attempting something stupid. Safety is always the top priority in exercise. Be smart and slowly progress to higher limits.

I'm not suggesting that you exercise until your body simply shuts down. I like all of you WAY too much to encourage death by workout.

But I am talking about getting to that point when you feel like there's nothing left. When your brain becomes a negative influence, chanting things like, "I can't do it!" and "I give up!" and "I absolutely have to stop". When your arms/legs are convulsing, your lungs hurt, your shirt is drenched, your mouth is dry, you are getting nauseous and lightheaded, and your energy is quickly draining as the seconds pass by.

Are you mentally tough enough to push a little bit harder?
To do one more rep?
To do the last 10 reps without stopping for a well-deserved break?
To lift 10 more pounds?
To run a little bit faster?

Exercise is a mind game, my friends.

If you really want to excel, you have to shut off your thoughts and push yourself.

You've got to get comfortable with being extremely uncomfortable.
(it's a temporary feeling - so at least you can be assured that comfort will eventually return) :)

But once you can get out of your own way, no one can stop you.
You'll go straight to the top, baby!

Anyone have an experience with getting to their limit?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great point Kim. From my experience, this is the quickest way to really see gains in strength. To make it even more possible - start lifting with a friend who can spot you on those last "insane" reps. Now that I'm older and can reflect back to periods in my life when I saw the most gains, it was when I was lifting with a partner. Unfortunately my work schedule is so crazy these days, I do not have that luxury anymore.