Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The embarrassment of my profession...



I do not blame anyone for being skeptical about the personal training industry and those who hold the personal training title.

Why?
Because inconsistency runs rampant in the fitness world!!

I am completely appalled by the horrendous, lacking certification procedures available to aspiring trainers and fitness professionals. And I'm even more upset by the fact that so many unsuspecting exercisers will receive not only crap advice and waste-of-time workouts, but possible injury from these so-called "experts". ARGH!!

I have many good friends who have attempted to break into the fitness industry via certification courses and instructor training programs... I have heard, first-hand, of the pathetic day-long classes that attempt to cover oodles of general information about fitness, nutrition, and everything in between.

One day to get certified? GENERAL information? Often no test to take??

That is absurd.
That is extremely scary.
And that is dangerous!!

We fitness pros have full responsibility for your body. You entrust us with your health and well-being. So, to have such a lackadaisical approach to the profession is just unacceptable.

If it takes me months upon months to teach my clients how to train and eat and live for optimal health... it only makes sense that it take a trainer that long to actually learn the principles of fitness and nutrition. And simply being an athlete does not cut it...

YES... there are certification programs out there that are damn good.
YES... there are trainers and instructors who have YEARS of education and knowledge concerning the body, as well as the basics and complexities of training.
They are out there, but they are few and far between.

I am one of those trainers. I take pride in being one of those trainers. I enjoy filling my noodle with tons of new information all the time! And I am devoted to giving you the results you want and deserve (as well as the renewed self-confidence and feeling of empowerment that comes along with it).

And you deserve a trainer like that, too.

So, please, if you decide to entrust yourself with an exercise 'expert'... please do some background checks on that expert. Just because they're certified doesn't mean they should be training you.

They should have sufficient education, sufficient credentials, and sufficient experience at getting fabulous results with prior clients.

1 comment:

Rodeo hog said...

Yeah, so true. I'm working with a doctor of physical therapy now as my trainer. Wonderfully, he is helping to rehabilitate the injuries I suffered through taking the advice of 'fitness professionals'.

Kim, your advice is also of great benefit. The pet peeves series was a real education.