Thursday, April 9, 2009

Remember: Doctors don't know everything!

Just a quick thought...

I visited my doctor this week. A simple annual checkup was the reason.

And as I left her office, happy to have such a caring, considerate, humorous, knowledgeable doc, I thought I might reiterate something important to all of you.

Doctors have A LOT of education and experience in the field of medicine. They know A LOT about how to react to different health issues. They can diagnose disease and sickness, they can order the proper tests that will be more effective at giving them the answers they seek, they can prescribe drugs to help with symptoms, and they can respond to emergencies with ease. They understand general human health, the human body, and its dysfunctions.

BUT...
They are not a great source of help in the preventative fields of exercise and nutrition!!

Case in point: my doctor asks ME for advice on fitness and healthy eating. Yes, she knows the basics. Yes, she knows that exercise is good for you... and she knows what foods are better for you than others. But she's not an expert.

She's an expert in medicine.
She great at reacting to a problem that has already occurred.
But she's not great at helping people to prevent that problem from occurring.

That's where I come in.

I really encourage you to enlist the help of high-quality fitness professionals when you want to create health and prevent disease. And if you do what is recommended by these fitness pros, you won't really need a doctor! Except during those annual checkups :)

No comments: