Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Love Butts!



Ok, first of all, get your mind out of the gutter (at least for a few minutes!).

Secondly -
Why would I profess such a thing??

Well, other than the obvious reasons...
  • A well-shaped booty really IS a thing of beauty :)
  • I have famously been endowed with a truly ample backside
...I simply want to describe why I absolutely LOVE to target the gluteal area in my clients' workouts.


Let's first picture a day in the life of most human beings in our current society.
Can you picture a desk, a computer... and a person seated in front of that computer?
Can you picture a car, traffic... and a person seated behind the steering wheel?
Can you picture a tv, a couch... and a person seated on that couch, exhausted after a long day of... sitting?

The average person sits a lot. It's true.
And what happens when we sit for extended periods of time?
The hip flexors become tight, and the butt becomes stretched out and weak.

The average person also neglects exercise. It's also very true, unfortunately.
And when inactivity perpetuates the adaptations of sitting... we've got problems.

When the "booty" is weak, the lower back is no longer protected. That's right! Your butt helps to protect your lower back. A strong butt will keep the pelvis in a neutral position. But a weak butt muscle will not be able to counteract the tight hip flexors. Those tight hip flexors will tilt the pelvis forward, and the muscles of the lower back will become hyperextended and irritated. Low back problems, anyone?

Plus, when the butt is weak, the knees undergo excess stress during compound lower body movements. Yes, your butt helps to keep your knees healthy! If the butt muscle is correctly activated during squatting movements, stepping-up actions, and everything in between, then there can be a balance in job delegation of all the muscles in the lower body. An inactive butt will lead to muscular imbalances (like overactive quads), excess stress on the knee joint, and knee pain. Ouch.

So, for those who sit obsessively throughout the day, working the glutes is pretty necessary for healthy lower back, hips, AND knees.


Let's now picture a group of individuals that desperately want to shed excess fat.
What are the main principles they need to follow in order to shed that fat?
They've got to make better food choices, control their portion sizes, AND burn more calories through working out.

Well...
The more muscles you use during intense training, the more calories you burn. Since your lower body houses the biggest muscles, especially the glutes, AND it contains about 75% of all the muscles in your body... including exercises that target the butt and the legs will really cause a huge metabolic disturbance. Meaning - LOTS of calories will be incinerated.


So, when the average person comes in to the gym to get some exercise, we focus A LOT on activating that big ole' butt muscle.

Not only does the butt help ensure proper alignment and function, as well as stave off pain and injury... but it also gives us a leg up on that whole calorie burning thing!

Plus, might I repeat...
A strong, tight butt sure is nice to look at. As well as tote around :)

Become a member of the butt appreciation club with me!!

6 comments:

Aaron Benes said...

Kim,

It's probably obvious but the feeling is mutual...I love butts too!

Great information and a fun post to read.

Have a great day!

Luis said...

Kim, I could not agree more.

SG Human Performance said...

I am totally on board with the whole butt training obsession. My clients and patients think I am a bit disturbed. But they don't complain when they are moving better and pain free.

Kim Ball said...

My clients think I'm a bit disturbed and obsessed, too! Ha! But I really have found that focusing on the glutes make everybody much happier :)
Thanks for your comments, guys!

SG Human Performance said...

Kim, You just have to read what one of my clients emailed me after I sent her to your blog!

"I read the butt entry on your blog. It’s all perfectly clear to me now. I never realized how important the lowly, rarely discussed glute muscles are. All hail the glutes! I tried to enter a comment, but couldn’t get it to “take”."

I am so proud!

Kim Ball said...

That's fantastic! You should be proud! I love when clients begin to appreciate the fixation on the glutes. :) Hey, is this Mark or Nikki?