Monday, April 20, 2009

The results are in... Kim is going to the CrossFit Games!!

Yep, you heard right!!
My experience at the Southern California CrossFit Games Regional Qualifier was a spectacular one! After 2 days of intensity and HEAT, consisting of 3 incredibly exhausting physical challenges, I wound up in 4th place out of 35 amazingly fit females!

Since the top 6 females qualify for the CrossFit Games in Aromas, CA on July 10-12... I am now one of the 75 competitors from all around the WORLD duking it out for a chance at victory in one of the most amazing tests of fitness around. Wow, I'm still in shock :)

So, after such an eventful weekend of thrills, I wanted to share some stories and some photos with you - so that you can join in on the excitement!

A few fun stories...
  • In the first workout, I ripped up my hands during the pullups in the second to last round. Not only was my hand bleeding like crazy, but I was leaving little pools of blood on the bar, on the barbell, in the chalk bucket, on my shoe... Besides my 2nd place finish in my heat, the bright red trail of blood I left behind sure got me some attention! Ha!
  • I'm known for my stamina. Not for my speed. :) So, since running and rowing were part of the 2nd and 3rd workouts, I was always a bit behind the speedier competitors. But in both situations, my ability to continue pushing on the difficult exercises (like overhead squats, step ups, or wall balls) when everyone else started slowing down would allow me to move ahead of the competition. I finished 3rd in my heat on the final two workouts!
  • I know where I need to improve, but I'm very pleased with the way things panned out for me. And I can't say it enough... thanks for all your support and encouragement, friends.



The calm before the storm... Waiting for the "3,2,1, GO!"


I'm getting the upper thighs below parallel.
Squat reps don't count unless you do!
After 30 squats, it's off to the bars...


Chest to the bar is required.
10 Kipping Pullups before heading to the next station...


Then, 5 clean and jerks with 105 pounds.
I'm proud of my technique on these cleans!
Oh, and the 1st place finisher in my heat is right behind me in this pic!
She was an absolute animal...


Good side view of the "jerk"
This pic was probably taken around the 3rd or 4th round.


Heading into the 6th and final round.
You can't see the blood streaming from my right hand because I caked it with chalk...
Oh, and do ya like my pink tape? :)


Got the bar racked and ready to explode it overhead!


The final few reps before I get to rest in the shade...


Here's a good pic of me waving to the cameras with my bloody hand... happy to be finished!!


"Embrace the Suck" was our motto for the weekend.
And here I am getting congrats from my HUGE cheering squad.
Thanks for your support, you guys!!


After about a 4-hour break, here is my heat getting started on workout #2...


First a 450 meter run, and then 30 overhead squats with 65 pounds.
Looking solid!


I'm finishing the run of my 3rd and final round, with only 2 people ahead of me!


Lots of focus necessary to stay balanced, stable, and strong.


First day completed!!
Hands ripped up, a bit sunburnt, and whole body throbbing.
But, what an experience... :)


Those are the only pics I have for you so far. But I've got more to come, I'm sure. I'll post some images from day 2, the awards ceremony, and the performance of my fellow teammates! Plus, I'll get some video together so that you can REALLY get a feel for the intensity of the competition.

Okay, I'm spent. Thanks for your support everyone!
I've got some work to do now, right?! Oh boy...
:)

7 comments:

Kira said...

Great pics!

Congratulations :)

robbio78 said...

Awesome Kim, way to go and good job! You are by FAR the toughest friend I know. Keep up the awesome work!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing.

Jason A said...

Great stuff, Ballz...
Glad to be living in your world, haha!
Looking forward to Phase 2...
WORLD DOMINATION!

Aaron Benes said...

Kim

YOU ARE A STUD!!! For what it's worth I'm proud of you!

Unknown said...

I am SO proud of you Kim Ball Danhoff!

Kim Ball said...

Thanks a ton, everyone!!
I love the "tough", "stud", "beast", and "animal" tags that I've been getting lately. Please - don't stop :)
And, yeah Jason... WORLD domination is 'round the corner. Time to go to work!!