Monday, March 23, 2009

Reader question - "Why use machines at all?"

I've decided to start a new type of post... one where I answer reader questions about exercise and/or nutrition. Since I've been getting some truly great questions from my readers on this blog and via email, I think those questions should make for some good, quality discussions!

So, from now on, Mondays will be READER QUESTION days.

If you have a question pertaining to fitness or nutrition, please leave me a comment, or email me at kim@deliberatemovement.com.

Okay, onto today's question...


Hi Kim,

Saw your latest pet peeve installment today and I just had to ask, Why use machines at all? Given that your workouts with free weights or your own body weight are going to be more challenging, more strenuous, and require balance and core strength regardless of which muscle you are targeting, why waste precious gym time with a machine? I'm not being nasty, I just really don't know why I'd ever use a machine. I'm always looking for ways to vary my workouts, but I see the machines in the gym and I usually just pass them by--often with a little smile to myself about all the time being wasted on them. Can you give any examples? Love the blog and the video series; thanks for all the tips. hope you're well,

JAJ


I don't think you're being nasty, JAJ!
I don't use machines for my personal workouts either. Except for maybe a Lat Pull or cable machine for rowing movements.

But you make a completely valid point. There are no need for machines!! Ever! They are actually easier than anything else in the gym. And because of their lack of complexity, some beginners can benefit from a bit of machine use - if only just to learn how to make the connection between doing the movement and FEELING the movement.

Also - Sometimes I want a newbie to learn how to remain calm and persistent when an exercise becomes super challenging (without the danger of the weight falling on them). But I'll dive into that topic more tomorrow.

Anway, JAJ, I don't really use many machines with clients all that much. I will choose bodyweight and free weight exercises for legs over leg machines any day. I will give them pushup variations and free weight bench press variations (often experimenting with tempo) over pressing machines any day.

And since it is difficult for many to do bodyweight pulling exercises like pullups and inverted rows... this is where I might use an assisted pullup machine, a lat pull machine, or some form of cable rowing machine. But I incorporate plenty of free weight exercises in this area too.

I definitely want to convey the message that... for some, exercise machines can be incorporated, but they should NOT be relied upon as the sole source of muscular stimulation in any beneficial workout. And for others who are advanced, there is no need for exercise machines. The best workout often comes from maneuvering your bodyweight around (as we gymnasts completely understand!)

Good for you for understanding that a workout should be strenuous, challenging, and painful (in the best sense of the word!) in order to be worthwhile. And, just for the record, I'd be happy to keep providing you with new and evil challenges to vary up those workout routines :)

Cheers,
Kim Ball


**Remember!! Any other fitness/nutrition questions can be directed to kim@deliberatemovement.com!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with 'all or nothing' philosophies and so I just HAVE to jump in here with my opinion.

I use machines. I also use free weights. Since following the Fred Hahn Slow Burn method of strength training for the last 3 months, using free weights is not ideal. As I go to failure in 4-6 reps with heavy weights, having a bar of weights drop onto my chest would be a huge PAIN - especially since I train alone at this point and don't have someone to 'spot' me.

I agree that using free weights has advantages but machines have their advantages also. In my 3 months of doing Slow Burn, I have seen distinct progress not only in strength but in loss of inches over my 12+ months of traditional strength training (with a trainer).

To clarify, I'm not saying that traditional strength training is better/worse than Slow Burn style or that free weights are better/worse than machines - what I'm saying is that, in my opinion and from what I've read, the body likes a bit of mix-up and variety is good, and that there is no need for an all-or-nothing philosophy (and I know that's not what you are projecting, Kim).

Kim Ball said...

This is great, Sybil.
Since the reader in this post has one philosophy on lifting, and doesn't understand why anyone would need to use machines, I LOVE the fact that you can give a fabulous example of how machines have personally helped you!

And, yes, I agree that variety is definitely necessary for complete fitness and continued progress.

Like you mentioned, I often recommend that lifters who go it alone be very careful with those lifts where they can get stuck. The Smith machine is great in that instance, and you can definitely get a similar effect from a machine. Good point.

I am a big fan of slow-tempo lifting. It can be truly brutal. I haven't heard of The Fred Hahn method, but it's great to hear that you've been getting so much benefit from it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments, Sybil. Keep up the great work in the gym... and come back soon!