Friday, March 13, 2009

Quotation of the Week

"Next time you're tempted to say you "can't", remember that what you're really saying is, "I don't want to." " - Craig Weller


I took this quote from an article that was discussing how we really do not know how far we can truly push our bodies.

And I agree with that sentiment.

On the average, most people will give up way before their bodies give up.

We feel the pain or discomfort of extreme physical activity - or even the discomfort of sticking to a new and different way of eating... we feel a little freaked out by the pain, we panic, and we give up.

I recognize this in every single one of my new clients. And I always tell them that I'm gonna teach them to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Because I'm looking for people to stop regressing back to the habit of saying "I can't!" as soon as something becomes a little difficult for them.

I WANT to see people acknowledging the pain, the discomfort, and the struggle... then I want to see them fighting to push through it. I want to see them holding back the part of them that wants to quit.

I don't like the phrase "I can't". It bugs the hell out of me.

It's a statement that screams:
"I won't even try"
OR
"I give up"
OR
"I just don't want to" (like it says in the quote above!)

I've seen plenty of people who hit that threshold of not having anything left to give... yet they STILL put in the effort to do more!! Why aren't they saying "I can't"?? Because they've decided not to quit until they absolutely have to. And for that, they will go far in fitness. And in life!

Think about that the next time you want to give up prematurely.
Whether it's in the gym - or in any other aspect of life.


You can handle SO MUCH MORE than you think you can!!

You are a resilient, capable human being.
Give yourself credit. Keep pushing forward with everything you do... no matter how long it takes you. And take the phrase "I can't" out of your vocabulary, for crying out loud!!

1 comment:

Aaron Benes said...

Kim Right on...RIGHT ON!

Seriously the C word (can't)is also one of my biggest irritant's.

In fact it is the only word that I don't let people use in our transformational facility in Newport Beach.

On another note Happy Belated Birthday...gosh I'm embarrassed...

Oh and one more thing regarding "anonymous"...way to be a professional Kim! Strength and honor! Nice!