Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Carb discussion, part 2



Okay...
Yesterday we figured out that the best way to control our carb intake is to practice 'carb timing'.

Meaning, we should try to eat starchy carbs first thing in the morning and in the 2-3 hours after exercise. At these times, the hormone insulin will partition the nutrients from our food into the muscle cells (instead of shoving it directly into the fat cells).

And with carb timing, we can make sure that our carbs take on a healthy role in our own recovery from exercise (instead of taking on a fat gaining role!).


Now...
It is still important to note that our current society is way too reliant on processed, starchy carbs.

I can't just tell someone who has been eating like a typical North American to abide by carb timing rules. Why?

Well, the typical North American diet looks like this:

Breakfast: cereal + milk, or toast/bagel, maybe some fruit juice
**cereal, toast, bagel, fruit juice... ALL processed carbs

Mid-morning or afternoon snack: granola bar, or yogurt, or pretzels, or fruit
**granola, individual packs of yogurt, pretzels, etc... ALL processed carbs

Lunch: sandwich and chips
**bread, chips... ALL processed carbs

Dinner: chicken, veggies, pasta
**this meal is not bad, but it still has pasta (processed carb!)


The typical North American relies heavily on processed carbs. They oftentimes eat them in place of lean proteins, healthy fats, fruits, and veggies (can't you see the severe lack of all of these food groups in the above description?!). Many times, in an attempt to be healthy, they choose these processed carbs because the package in which they come in reads, "healthy", "natural", "fat-free", "whole-grain", etc.

Instead of KNOWING the origin of the food, a typical person will let the package decide whether that food is healthy or not. They'll actually believe that a completely processed food is "healthy" because it now has a few "whole grains" in it! Come on... whole grain Pop Tarts are no better than regular Pop Tarts, people!!

Now, like I said yesterday... the occasional processed carb - like pasta, bread, cereal, etc - is perfectly okay. In moderation, any food is not too detrimental.

But, on a regular basis, the closer a carbohydrate is to its original source, the better of an effect it will have on your body. The best starchy carbs to choose?? Whole grain sources like wild rice, barley, quinoa, and full flake oats. Natural, nutrient-dense sources like potatoes, yams/sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans.

ALSO, if you don't exercise... all those processed carbs will do exactly what my reader said they would. They will cause a spike in the hormone insulin and they WILL be stored as fat.

End of story.


So, what will YOU do with this info??

Will you change your eating habits to limit processed carbs?
Will you practice carbohydrate timing?
Will you exercise in order to "earn" your carbs?
Will you attempt to balance out your diet with other foods besides carbs?
Or will you keep on doing the same thing and being like all other 'typical' North Americans??

It's up to you!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
We agree more than we disagree on this issue. I do know that you can't successfully change someone overnight from the SAD (Standard American Diet) to eating clean, whole foods, with the primary source of carbs being from fresh vegetables/fruit. And most people do amazingly well by just cutting out the processed foods and HFCS products. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

Whether it's age or insulin resistance or something else, my particular metabolism responds best to a low-carb way of eating and luckily, it's a WOE that works in my life. Pasta, bread and other 'white' products don't cross my lips very often - although I don't consider them banned foods. Just foods I choose not to eat. I find I much prefer veg or fruit sources for my carb consumption.

Have you read many recent studies on saturated fat and how it's not the evil demon that the government has lead us to believe?

Another researcher that might be of interest from a fitness and research perspective is Dr. Jeff Volek of TNT/Men's Health. I just listened to a podcast interview that Jimmy Moore of Livinlavidalowcarb did with him. Cassandra Forsyth, one of the authors of New Rules for Lifting for Women works with Dr. Volek and they both have a wealth of knowledge.

Keep up the great posts. I'm off to the gym and then hopefully a session of surfing/boogie boarding if the weather permits!

Kim Ball said...

I completely admire your determination to keep the processed stuff out of your everyday diet. And I appreciate that you've taken the time to find what's worked for you. Honestly, I do much better - energy-wise and body comp wise - without all those "white" products as well. I've been reading up on Metabolic Typing to find out more about how and why different diets work for different people. Interesting stuff, definitely!

And, YES, I have heard about the saturated fat studies! It really makes sense that the "natural" fats from animals and animal products can be added to a completely healthy diet with no repercussions (in moderation, of course!). The man-made trans fat, on the other hand...

I will definitely look in to the research of Dr. Volek. I love Cassandra Forsyth and her New Rules of Lifting book... so if she's on-board, I best listen up!

Thanks for being part of my blog topic for the past two days, Sybil. You've helped me come up with more topics to blab on about - which I appreciate immensely!

Enjoy the water and the gym :)

Unknown said...

Whole grain pop tarts....where do I find those!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,

Good post!

I'm pretty happy with my general diet.

Over the last few years I've limited processed carbs and it really has made a difference to my state of mind :)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,

I read somewhere that a fast-digesting carb right after a work-out and before my whey protein drink helps with getting the protein to my muscles. Is this true? If so, I have been drinking one of my son's apple juice boxes (cheap/convenient) before my shake. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kim Ball said...

You're exactly right, Chris. The fast-digesting carb will cause a surge of insulin... and, because the muscles are CRAVING nutrition right after a rockin' workout, the insulin will push the carbs and protein directly into the muscles! So, at that time, it's actually okay to have high insulin levels! That's the purpose of the fast-digesting carb.

So, yeah, a meal/shake with fast-digesting carbs and fast-digesting protein (like whey!) will absolutely help with recovery from exercise... which will absolutely help your muscles fully benefit from that exercise :)

And you can have your carbs WITH your protein (it doesn't necessarily have to be immediately before).

Sugary fruit juice does the trick (you can even put it INTO your shake!). Gatorade does as well. Some people simply use chocolate milk as a post-workout drink (has the protein, carbs, and a tendency to stimulate higher levels of insulin).

Only thing you want to make sure you do in the post-workout period... keep fat levels low. Fat will slow down digestion and make the above response weaker.
Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim. I didn't even think about chocolate milk - which would make drinking my whey protein tastier.

Anonymous said...

wow kim. this is really interesting. :)

~ lisa s!