Monday, March 2, 2009

If you're not falling...

Hello comrades!
I'm back from a week of snowboarding in the Lake Tahoe area.
And - wow - did I milk every last drop of satisfaction out of my trip!

I'm trying to get my s**t together today, after returning home at 3am yesterday... So, I apologize for the lack of descriptive photos. But I promise that there will be tons more photos tomorrow (and in the upcoming March newsletter!) :)

Anyway, after the past week of complete immersion in a sport that allows you to see nature in such an intimate way...
A sport that requires you to both release full control as well as confront your fears and doubts...
A sport that causes you to run the gamut of emotions in any single day from total confidence to skepticism to massive frustration and back to pleasurable assuredness and enjoyment...

I am absolutely certain, yet again, that I LOVE the sport of snowboarding.

And my strong reason why I am so sure of this sentiment?
(Besides the fact that I embrace all the uncertainty and inconsistency that come with sliding down a mountain on a stick o' wood)

I am continually striving to improve!

I am challenging myself to try a little bit more each day.
I am enjoying the experience of having those challenges.
I am actively seeking out those aspects of the sport that frighten me.
I am falling and getting back up.
Because "if you're not falling, you're not learning!" (Thanks, Dave Hulting!)



I became a completely different snowboarder during last year's trip to Whistler, B.C., Canada. And after experiencing such a huge leap in ability back then, I figured that there was no way I could improve that much again on this year's trip. But because of my willingness to try to improve, I definitely took another giant leap!

And I couldn't be more satisfied with the experience!
I couldn't be more proud of getting to a level I never imagined I could.


In a similar scenario...

During the past six months of doing CrossFit, Krav Maga, and Kickboxing, I have slowly, steadily attempted to improve at something - anything - as the weeks fly by. That constant, unexpected improvement is so extremely exhilarating that it keeps me wanting more! It keeps me on a pathway of desiring to upgrade myself and of wanting to fully experience life.

Now, I'm on the road to the So Cal CrossFit Games Regional Qualifier in April, I'll be testing into the next level of Krav Maga this March, and I'm slowly improving my Muay Thai Kickboxing skills. Slowly.

Add my new snowboarding prowess to that, along with my recent "powerful" bowling skills, and I'd say that I'm pretty happy with my current abilities. For now.

But soon, I'll want more. I'll want to do more... to be more. And I won't just want more progress in the gross physical realm. Progressive acquisition of new cognitive abilities and fine motor skills would be fabulous too.

I want to learn some new languages. Although, I think I'll just start with one. ;)
I would like to keep learning more about business and marketing - so that I can continue to get my message out to more and more people who could really benefit!
I would like to learn to play an instrument. I took violin lessons in the 4th grade... maybe it's time to try again??


What types of skills and abilities do YOU enjoy?

What types of activities have YOU always wanted to try?

What fascinates you? What scares you?

What would you be willing to attempt - if money and time were no object?


Life is not just about work and money and responsibilities, my friends.
It's about enjoyment. It's about relationships and human connection. It's about learning. And it's about getting better and better with age. Like a fine wine. :)

So, think about it! How can YOU enrich your life with new experiences/activities/skills? And how can you continually progress into a better you?

I'll post some fun pics from my trip tomorrow.



See ya then!

No comments: