Thursday, March 12, 2009

Don't be afraid of pasta... Don't fear hard work!

I found this video recently, from one of my fav sources of nutritional info... nutritionist and founder of the Naked Nutrition Network, Mike Roussell.

Yeah, this video may be a bit scientific for some - but it still has a good message.

PLUS, it reiterates that fact that intense exercise is so much better for a phenomenal body composition than slow and steady exercise. A common theme of this week AND of this entire blog!

And after the commotion from my Monday post (yikes!), I think we need even more proof that intensity is super duper important (thanks to all the Facebookers for their fabulous comments, too!). Of course, we need to hear the message that starchy carbs like pasta are not necessarily "bad for you" as well.

So, take a quick look.
Those of you who enjoy your pasta will be excited.
Those of you who enjoy your pasta but don't enjoy working out will, unfortunately, not be quite as excited. :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to round out your nutritional knowledge with a study of Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes or Genocide by Dr. Carlson. There certainly IS something to be said for reducing processed carb intake. Carbs drive insulin which drives fat storage.

Another good blog to learn about scientific studies and how they are so frequently slanted or inaccurate is Dr. Eades at www.proteinpower.com. Whether you agree or disagree with limiting carb intake, Dr. Eades has excellent information on the latest nutrition and medical studies.

I enjoy your blog Kim. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to hearing about your travel adventures - I think more people should follow their heart and spirit!

Kim Ball said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Sybil.

I completely agree with you that reducing processed carb intake is essential for optimal body composition and good health. You are so right. Controlling carb intake, increasing vegetable intake, and making sure plenty of protein is eaten... those are all the principles I am absolutely adament about recommending to the general public.

However, for those people that have decided to swear off all carbs forevermore (I have a few clients that have unnecessary fears of all carbs - even the whole-grain sources of starchy carbs!), I wanted to ease their fears that moderate amounts of foods like pasta can still be eaten - especially if intense exercise is consistently practiced.

Thanks so much for participating on my blog! I really appreciate your opinions. And THANKS for your kind thoughts about my upcoming adventures! Cheers!