Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In remembrance...

We all have those people in our lives.
The people who influence us to become who we are in the present day.
The people who have helped us to realize our full potential (or who have at least led us in that direction).

Well let me tell you this...

My enthusiasm for life -
My passion for movement and vitality -
My limitless pursuit for excellence... in fitness and in all other areas of life -
My intense work ethic and refusal to give up -
My belief that I can accomplish anything -

Those essential parts of me were embedded in my internal coding by one phenomenal man...
My DAD.



And on a day like today - the 14th anniversary of his untimely passing - I have to honor his memory and the immeasurable impact that he had on who I am and how I live my life.



Clifford Ball was a phenomenal man - and an even more amazing father. He not only instilled strong values, self-confidence, and an optimistic disposition in me, but he made sure I knew that I was loved, supported, and respected.

And I am so lucky to be able to revisit a lot of that support and love... through the stacks of photo albums and videos he created from each and every year of my competitive gymnastics career. Because, yes, he was at every single gymnastics meet I ever attended, even though he lived in a different state after my parents split. I never once doubted the love of my dad - because he consistently showed it through his supportive actions.

Unfortunately, the majority of the people with which I surround myself nowadays never had the privilege of meeting good ole' Cliff. But they have gotten to share the stories I tell about him. They have heard the sweet details of his passion for life, his quirky sense of humor, and his larger than life presence. And I'll keep on sharing those details and those stories - so that his memory can accompany me for the long haul, comfort me on days like today, and remind me of my capability for greatness. I think I'm pretty lucky to have that.



Thank you for letting me share my thoughts, my friends.
Thank you for letting me celebrate such an important influence in my world.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing Kim. After readin this, I miss Cliff too.

Becky said...

Hi Kim,

Thanks for sharing your story of your dad. I too lost a parent way too early in my life. And, like you, I'm lucky to have had a wonderful, dedicated parent (many people aren't as lucky as you and I in that regard!).

Getting to know you over the last few months and speaking now as a parent myself, I'm quite sure your dad would be so proud to see the wonderful person you've become. He clearly started something very special when he raised you.

Warm regards,

Becky

Anonymous said...

Kim you are an amazing person! I feel lucky to know him by knowing you.
With Love, Jenn O

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us. I've never seen a photo of your dad, and know it seems like I had a chance to meet him. I've heard the stories of cliff and you are so much like him in so many ways.What a beautiful way to remember and share your dad with us. Good luck on your adventure in finding out more about the family history. I'm hear to help in any way. love, Elena

Anonymous said...

You are extremely lucky to have known your father AND to have had a good, positive role model. So many young women today have grown up without such a figure to instill in them values that shape them into womanhood.

And tho I didn't know him real well, because you guys lived so dang far away, I, too, miss ol' Uncle Cliff!

I can't beleive it's been almost 15 years! Good grief! Gosh my dad's been dead for 26 now - amazing how time flies.

Kim Ball said...

Thank you, everybody, for your amazing words.
I'm in awe of the love and support that is so willingly shelled out when I speak of my dad.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.