Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Video Series - 5th installment

It's funny - but many people don't have the natural tendency to keep their heads neutral during an exercise. I've realized that correct head position in weight lifting must be taught.

And even though I understand that a neutral, elongated neck is a learned part of strength training, it still REALLY bugs me to see that head flopping around in the wrong position!

A beneficial weight training session involves proper form, a large amount of body awareness, and a head that's properly attached to the body... otherwise, injuries can occur, imbalances can develop, and progress can slow to a halt.

So, check out my next video discussing this particular pet peeve.
And make sure that YOU don't commit the crime of sporting a newborn baby's head during your exercise session :)


1 comment:

Aaron Benes said...

So true...and so rarely known about in the fitness world. In weightlifting it is a must to keep a neutral spine! When I am coaching people I especially emphasize the eyes being straight ahead when it comes to lunges and squats.

The body will always follow the eyes.

Great topic Kim!