Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Little Hitler

Yesterday, I mentioned the hostility that runs rampant with my clients. If you're a trainer - especially a good one who knows how to administer a solid workout - you can understand exactly what I'm talking about.

I've gotten used to this hostility. I've gotten used to the name-calling, the not-so-friendly hand gestures, the evil looks, and the "I hate you" comments. I've recently been called "Little Hitler", to be honest!

Yep, I'm the bad guy. I'm the one that no one likes.

Then why... why does everyone keep coming back???

How can a client look me dead in the eyes, say "I absolutely despise you" with sincere animosity, leave the gym in a huff... then come back the very next day, hand me a check, and prepare to get beat down again...?

Because exercise works! Especially the workouts I piece together. Like I've said before... it's all about intensity. The harder you work, the more results you get. The harder you work, the more your body has to adapt and grow stronger and more fit.

AND - the harder you work, the more you get used to working hard. The more you can push yourself closer to your limits.

Oh, and there's the fact that difficult exercise makes you look better, feel better, perform better. It gives you self-confidence and a sense of empowerment. It fills you with excess energy. It makes you take pride in your body and your abilities. And it can be stimulating and fun, even when it's super difficult...

Believe me - I really hate my instructors as well! When I participate in Crossfit or kickboxing, I have uttered many of the phrases my clients say to me. It's a love-hate relationship. But you keep going back because you can't quite possibly challenge yourself as well as someone else can. You sure can try - and you definitely should try - but an outside source can always get more out of you.

So, if you're feeling stuck... why not try something new and different? Either a challenging class... or a more intense exercise program... or a new activity... or a super fun workout with moi (mua ha ha!)...

See? I guess I like being the evil, sadistic one. Something I never knew about myself until I became a trainer. :)

But not only do I enjoy the torturous aspect of the workouts... I mostly enjoy the way they transform people. I want each and every one of you to experience the after effects of a REAL workout. And I'll keep the title of "horrible, mean trainer" if I get to keep bestowing those effects on people I get to work with. I'll deal with the negative to get you to the positive.

Deal?

No comments: