Monday, June 15, 2009

Reader question - "Your opinion on Les Mills classes?"

Let's get back to the reader questions. I've had a couple good ones as of late...

Good morning Kim,

I'd like to know what do you think about the Les Mills Body Training Systems.

Thanks,
Henrique

Thanks for the question, Henrique!
I wasn't 'in the know' about the Les Mills fitness programs - but I did some research, and I'd be happy to give you my opinion from what I've read and seen. Obviously, I've never taken a class, so I cannot give you a complete testimonial or position statement - but I appreciate that you'd like to hear my thoughts :)

First off, for those of you who are unawares...
All over the world, gyms have implemented pre-programmed group fitness classes, created by the LES MILLS Group Fitness System. These classes include:


BodyAttack-
a sports-inspired cardio workout, complete with interval training

BodyBalance-
a holistic, calming class, involving elements of yoga, pilates, and tai chi

BodyCombat- a cardio kickboxing type of class, combining skills from karate, boxing, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, and Tai Chi

BodyJam-
a funky, hip-hop-style dance class

BodyPump-
a barbell class with basic strength exercises

BodyStep-
a modern step class with some cross training

BodyVive-
a low-impact workout with stability balls, tubing, and small hand weights

RPM-
a high-energy spin class


Basically, the Les Mills Body Training System involves a variety of challenging classes filled with movement, high energy, and up-beat music.

Anything that involves movement... motion... activity... major muscle stimulation...
can NOT be a bad thing.

I am not going to reprimand anyone for taking part in these classes. I'm not going to say that they are a waste of time. I will only commend those who participate because the classes do involve more challenging forms of physical activity.


That being said...
I do find negative aspects to these classes.

#1 - The classes are pre-programmed. New choreography and music are created for each class every 3 months. Now, some gyms may alternate between new and old choreography. But for those individuals who spend oodles of time doing these classes alone, even that small amount of variation will not help to progressively overload the body toward one's desired results! The way to cause change and transformation is to progressively stimulate the body with more difficult challenges as a training program advances. Since these classes remain the same over time, there is no effective progression to help someone lose fat (which is one main reason why people take the classes in the first place!)

#2 - The longer an activity is, the less intense it automatically has to be. You can only keep up extremely high intensity for shorter time periods. Since these classes are 60 minutes long, most exercisers will end up working at a relatively lower intensity - much like longer, slower cardio sessions. Since intensity is a huge proponent of a workout that creates a huge metabolic disturbance... these classes would not be an optimal solution by themselves. They cannot elicit the high intensity that shorter training sessions can accomplish. However, as an adjunct to a complete strength training program, I am all for the inclusion of these classes.


Now, the positive aspects...

#1 - These classes involve explosive movements, compound exercises, and full ranges of motion. Because of this, they are a much better choice for activity than long, slow, boring cardio. Even though the exerciser might adapt to the choreography over time, it is very probable that they will still be exuding more energy through these energetic activities (and moving through a larger range of motion) than they will on the cardio machines.

#2 - The BodyPump class involves an instructor teaching the correct technique of basic lifting exercises. I think that it is important for exercisers to gain that positive reinforcement about proper technique from a knowledgable instructor. This class would likely be very beneficial for many less advanced gym-goers.


So, to conclude all my ramblings - I believe that a strong resistance training program is necessary for an individual to get measurable results from exercise. But, activities that tax the entire body - more metabolic activities like circuit training, interval training, and challenging classes - are also an important part of a complete training program. Because of that, I think the Les Mills Body Training classes (or any other similar classes that you might enjoy) are a great inclusion to your week of exercise.

Hope that helps!
Kim


**Remember!! Any other fitness/nutrition questions can be directed to kim@deliberatemovement.com

2 comments:

Henrique Rocha said...

Hi Kim,

Thanks for replying to my question.

From all those classes I only tried Body Combat, Body Balance, Body Pump and RPM. So I'll talk a bit of my experience with those classes.

Body Combat:
I did 2 or 3 classes and it's really not for me! I don't like punching and kicking the air for 1h.

Body Balance:
I really enjoy Body Balance. Did 4 or 5 classes. Since last year I had no flexibility at all, doing some classes was an incentive to improve my flexibility. I actually replaced Body Balance with another class not from the Les Mills Body Training Systems that I attended once every week that REALLY improved my flexibility.

Last 12th of October of 2008, I was able to put 10 DVD boxes between my fingers and the floor while trying to touch the floor with my legs straight. Now I can only put 1 DVD box. For me it is a great improvement. I supposed I could have achieved this by doing Body Balance also. Obviously, Body Balance won't give you large muscles, but it will really improve your flexibility.

Body Pump:
Did my first class two weeks ago. It was really easy because I didn't use the load necessary but at least I learned the choreography structure, which is important. Since I know that progressively overloading the muscles is really important I used a higher load on the 2nd class and I finished it with my legs shaking... not bad! =)
On the 3rd class I also increased the weight on the barbell so in general, I think you can progressively overload your muscles in a body pump class and it should provide results in your resistance, not in muscle hypertrophy.

RPM:
This is another class where you can also progressively increase the load because it's up to you to adjust the load of the bike. It simulates all sort of incline and declined "roads" so I suppose it could be considered some sort of interval training but on a bike.
Did only 3 classes but really enjoyed it.

This is just my opinion on those classes. Other people could have different ones so I'm looking forward to reading more comments.

Kim Ball said...

Great comments, Henrique! And very helpful for those of us who haven't taken the classes...

I DO think that flexibility - especially functional flexibility (being able to move through a full range of motion and having mobility in certain joints, like hips, shoulders, and upper back) - is an extremely important aspect of fitness. So, any activity that helps with flexibility/mobility gets a thumbs up from me. I'm so glad that Body Balance does that for you!

I'm happy to hear that you are able to progressively challenge yourself in the Body Pump class. And it's great that you are pushing yourself to your limits during the time allotted. You're right - there won't be any hypertrophy, really... but the intensity in which you work can definitely help improve your strength and physical abilities - no doubt!

And, yeah, jumping around and kicking the air for an hour really doesn't do anything for me either. Now, kicking and punching a heavy bag in a kickboxing bag class... THAT is a fabulously evil workout! I'm sure you would agree :)

Sounds like you are using the Les Mills classes to your advantage, Henrique. Keep it up, my friend!