Monday, June 22, 2009

Reader question - "Why is my stomach girth increasing?"



I recently received another great question on my YouTube channel. The query came in response to my 'Pet Peeve' video about the use of weight belts. If you haven't seen the vid, just know that I am not a fan of weight belts. They put a lifter at risk for back injury because they teach improper activation of the abdominal muscles. Read more below!

"I was especially interested in your comment about how the superficial ab muscles push outward against a weight belt. What I notice is this. Whenever I start doing weight training my entire abdominal girth increases- I actually develop a gut whether I wear a belt or not. This is exactly what I do not want. Could this be because I have lax or weak superficial abdominal muscles? Or am I just using them wrongly? I have no gut otherwise- please help! Everyone at the gym believes this cannot happen..."

Thanks for submitting your question! I understand your frustration...

It's not that you have weak superficial ab muscles. It's that you probably use your superficial muscles TOO much through incorrect technique (and possibly have weak "deep" ab muscles). Instead of activating the deep AND superficial muscles together and "bracing the abs", you might just be pushing your stomach outward during the abdominal contraction of a heavy lifting exercise.

And, since we've never met, the reason I believe your technique of tightening your abdomen may be wrong... you mention that you sometimes wear a belt. Since the belt teaches you to push outward, then you probably do it without the belt as well. That practice of leaving out the ever-important deep abdominal muscles through weight belt use is dangerous because it puts excess pressure on the spine - instead of giving it stability.

When doing any sort of weight training movement, try to actively tense your midsection like an invisible corset. Don't pull the stomach inward like a vacuum... just brace!

Initiate the exertion part of an exercise (the "push", the "pull", the "thrust", etc) by bracing the abs and simultaneously exhaling with control. This will help you activate the deep and superficial ab muscles together - or at least activate the deep muscles BEFORE the smaller superficial muscles kick in.

Also, I guess I can't say that your increasing abdominal girth completely comes from incorrect technique while lifting. While evaluating your technique, make sure to evaluate diet and overall activity levels as well. Some folks find that their appetite increases when they add strength training to the mix. Excess caloric intake is a great way to increase abdominal girth! :)

I hope my advice helps you avoid that increased abdominal girth... And maybe even causes you to sport a newly chiseled stomach!

Good luck!
Kim Ball


**Remember!! Any other fitness/nutrition questions can be directed to kim@deliberatemovement.com

No comments: