Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lose weight, THEN join a gym?? NO!!

Okay - I understand that there are folks with a lot of excess weight who feel uncomfortable with their bodies. That discomfort and embarrassment is enough to keep them out of the gym.

And I understand the thought process of: "Well, maybe if I just lose some weight through diet first, then I'll feel better about walking around the gym with all the beautiful people..."

Maybe I don't fully understand from the standpoint of personal experience, but I do empathize with that feeling.

However, I don't agree with it!
I think it's just a big, ugly excuse!
I think that worrying about other people's opinions is a waste of time.
I think that you are only hurting your own chances of being healthy and happy by making it harder on yourself to get to the healthy/happy point!

A healthy, disease-free, fit, functional person eats a balanced, nutritious diet based around whole foods AND participates in regular physical activity.

Yes, people have lost weight before by simply dieting... but are they really healthy and fit??
No way!

Besides... looking good is only part of the picture.
I know you want to look scrumptious, but...
Life is not really very enjoyable when you look good, yet you feel like crap.
Right?!
Feeling good is so much more important.
And when you feel good, you look good.
And how do you feel good? By giving your body what it needs and craves.
So, stop torturing your body by keeping it caged up!
Put your spandex on and get your ass in the gym!! Or the park. Or the beach. Whatev!



Friends, if you take anything away from today's post, let it be these two ideas:

1) Diet PLUS exercise together will help you shed excess fat and keep that fat off through altered body composition.

2) Diet PLUS exercise is what a healthy person does... so if you want to be healthy, fit, and fabulous, shouldn't you adopt the habits of someone who fits the bill?



Tomorrow, I'll attack the statement, "I'll do cardio to get the fat off, THEN build muscle by adding in resistance training..." Ugh.

No comments: