Thursday, May 7, 2009

Just Do It

If there's one thing I've learned in my years as a fitness pro,
it's that you can't force anyone to do anything.

You can't make a person change their eating habits, or be consistent with working out.
No matter how much they say they want it...

If they hold on to excuses and reasons why those changes won't work for them,
then their chances for success are hopeless.

But once someone "gets" that their own thoughts and ideas are what's holding them back,
once someone takes the time to listen and to attempt changes that are totally doable,
then there's no limit to how far that person can progress!!

For example:
I've been training a beloved female client of mine for 4 years.
I've been inundating her with the same advice and tips for 4 years.
In fact, as I grow in my knowledge base, my advice has gotten better and more concise.
So, she's gotten some pretty invaluable education on exercise and nutrition from me.
But nothing ever changed.
She told me that she wanted the results... but she was resistant to making the changes I suggested.
She had a running dialogue of excuses flittering around in her head about what was and wasn't possible for her to include or exclude from her life.
It was paralyzing her progress!

Until 3 months ago...
Something clicked.
She started listening to what I had been saying.
She started realizing that she wasn't actually doing the things I was recommending for her.
And she started understanding that my suggestions were totally doable - that if she really wanted it, she had to let go of all those excuses, pre-conceived notions, and fears.

My beautiful client stopped fighting it. She surrendered to the advice I had been giving, and she is coming up on a 40-pound weight loss and a 10% body fat loss in only 3 months!!

I didn't force her to do it.
She simply started listening AND taking action.

It's not that hard people.
If you want it bad enough, you'll stop letting your excuses get in the way.
You'll do what it takes. You'll stop complaining that you have no time, no willpower, no motivation...

This is a good opportunity to whip out the old Nike saying...
"Just Do It"

Now, go do it!!

No comments: