Monday, February 16, 2009

Do you dream BIG enough?

So... I've mentioned that I'll be traveling with my husband for a year over in Europe.

And when we make a break for it this coming September, you better believe I'll be sharing my adventures with all of you. The blogging will not stop!

With the hubby's many expected surfing conquests, my various (and albeit, extreme) fitness adventures, our incredible experiences with food, our unique, multi-cultural observations, and the unexpected joys and challenges of a nomadic lifestyle... we will have plenty to write about on our extended journey.

I am absolutely ecstatic about documenting the journey!

And because of that, I've been talking to A LOT of people about an idea I've had. The idea feels like a shot in the dark, really. A dream that seems impossible sometimes. Only because it's foreign territory.

I have been wanting to write a book about my travels... or contribute to a magazine/website with my story... or become sponsored to create a kick-ass travel blog that'll reach out to millions. I have lots of strong ideas. I don't have the slightest idea how to go about turning them into a reality! But I know I love to write. And I know I have some good initial ideas. So, I talk about 'em.

And you know what?

Good things come to those who put their ideas out there. Opportunities open up. New pathways are revealed. Ideas develop into even better ideas!

No, I haven't been handed some amazing opportunity to realize my writing dream... yet. But, just in the past week or so, I'm already developing relationships with new people that can help point me in the right direction. I'm finding out the ins and outs of a business that I know nothing about. I'm learning and connecting and diving in head first... I'm dreamin' big!!

And I've done this before. In different situations. For instance, when I decided to throw myself into a physique competition, I just started telling people - which helped me solidify my new goal AND which opened doors for me to find many, many ways to keep tromping toward that goal. I reached a stellar 8% body fat at the end of that journey.

When I wanted to organize a large local health and fitness seminar, complete with speakers, sponsors, and charity involvement... I was frickin' scared out of my mind! Who am I to put on such a big event?? But I went for it. I talked about it. I sought out the help of people I didn't know - and I suffered some pretty sweaty palms from all the cold calling :) I put myself in a leadership position and pushed away all the doubts. And, guess what? I made it happen. Twice, in fact!

When my husband and I decided, long ago, to realize a dream of being blissful vagabonds, we immediately began to make it known that it was going to happen. No matter what. And we're still fighting to get there.

I'm not some special person that has been given handouts my whole life. I don't just get "lucky" and have great stuff fall into my lap.

I dream big! And when I dream big, I work HARD to try and make that dream a reality. I don't just sit around and wish... because that'll do absolutely nothing for your cause. Instead, I research... I seek out advice... I ask the questions that might sound stupid or selfish... I dedicate myself to working hard toward a goal... I eliminate excuses and negative talk... I try the tasks that might be uncomfortable or scary... I do what's necessary to reach for that dream.

And sometimes I fail. Sometimes, the dream just kinda flops. Maybe my writing dream won't make it to fruition. But I'm not gonna think like that now. Anything is possible now...


In these uncertain times, YOU cannot afford to be too scared to dream big.

Think differently about yourself and what you're capable of. I'm trying to. I have doubts, man! But I won't let 'em stop me.

Will you dream big with me???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a good photographer for your books to come!

Unknown said...

and your Euro trip! he works for cheap too

Kim Ball said...

Rock on, Robert!
I'll keep that in mind...