Wednesday, July 22, 2009

No pain makes a girl SO very happy!

I visited my own personal miracle worker today.

Why is he my miracle worker?
Because no one else has been able to help me with issues of physical pain.
No other well-meaning professional has had the answer for the physical issues that have limited my ability for progress.
I am so incredibly thankful to have found someone who knows the body well enough to be able to help a girl eliminate frustrating pain!

And while I can't take him with me wherever I go, I do keep his words of wisdom in my head as I fly solo every day...

He continuously reminds me that, similar to the approach of "sticking to" a progressive exercise program in order to improve fitness - we need to tend to those nagging aches and pains that we develop from being active people... we need to tend to them on a regular basis... we need to understand that improvement will be gradual, continuous, and satisfying, IF we "stick to" the modalities that ensure our relief.

He's right. People can be so devoted to their exercise programs - especially the CrossFitting community of people in which I belong. However, it is pretty common to hear these same devoted people constantly complaining about aches, pains, injuries, and weaknesses, without taking the steps to alleviate those issues.

Yes, sometimes there are people like me who search all over creation to find someone, anyone, to have the knowledge and application to help us poor, aching soles. But, unfortunately, most persons either:

a) work through the pain, causing further damage to their bodies (and making the 'rehab' process much longer and more involved)

or

b) simply accept that their bodies can no longer perform certain movements, giving up on their potential for optimum physical longevity and blaming 'age' for the resultant decline.

Both of these instances are unacceptable!


We all develop imbalances, tightness, compensations, and recurring concerns throughout life. Our bodies are not symmetrical entities, and our lives are not without uneven stresses. We have dominant patterns and faulty nerve pathways. We often experience accumulated stress from the physical and psychological demands of life. We develop unhealthy patterns.

It's just the way it goes. And it's not gonna change.

So, if we want to be highly functional beings, without pain, we need to consistently work toward fixing the broken parts of our bodies. We need to spend time tending to our own individual issues - because that effort will produce great rewards. There is NO REASON why we cannot pull ourselves up out of a physical slump... or aim to improve and upgrade with age ;)

My miracle worker has taught me how to wisely spend my time. Through a combination of trigger point therapy (self-massage using a foam roller or massage ball), specific stretching movements, and breathing techniques, JEFF ALEXANDER from NETWORK FITNESS in Irvine, California, has given me the tools for which to help myself.

(Network Fitness)

I just gotta use them!

If you are in the Southern California area, I suggest you visit Jeff's website and find out more about his upcoming trigger point / myofascial release workshops.

If you are outside of SoCal, I suggest you seek out a professional that can help you understand the methods for myofasical release (release of the tension in muscle). Because I guarantee you that, unless you've had an injury from a majorly bad accident, your pain is probably due to certain muscles pulling certain joints out of alignment. Misalignment can lead to radiating pain, weakness, and many other physical issues.

And if you have yet to develop pain, whether from exercise or from everyday life, PLEASE make sure that you take care of your body - by giving it a balance of strenuous activity, stretching, and soft tissue work.


Thanks again to my personal miracle worker!
The pathway to a painless existence is now visible for me!

2 comments:

Jason A said...

So true, I couldn't agree more... I highly recommend visiting Jeff Alexander!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I appreciate your kind words and look forward to reading more stories of your success in overcoming your overuse issues (and watching videos of your carrying a Smartcar overhead while you run at 150 kmh on the autobahn). You're awesome!