Friday, August 7, 2009

Quotation of the Week


"I think a training philosophy is a dynamic process that never ends. You may have read something of mine from a year ago that contradicts what I'm saying now. I'm fine with that. I'm still a student and reserve the right to learn and continually let my thinking evolve. In fact, if you haven't changed your mind about something
over
time, then I worry about you." -Alwyn Cosgrove

I'll admit that I don't know everything. Influential fitness pro Alwyn Cosgrove is willing to admit it, too. But those of us who are passionate about the health and fitness world are always trying to learn as much as possible. And since the body is so complex... since we are constantly searching for answers... and since knowledge in fitness/nutrition/and human studies is so transient... what we learn is bound to change.

Yes, we've been taught certain things for many, many years... simply because some information was perceived a certain way by a group of people, then everyone else passed it on. And the whole world took in these perceived ideas as fact.

But perception can be wrong, my friends.

The woman in yesterday's post will not listen to my new, effective advice because she has come to believe the incorrect perceptions of past researchers.

I'm not bashing these researchers. One set of ideas slowly but surely leads us to seek out better ideas, more answers, a better view of the big picture. But just because these individuals were hard-working innovators... doesn't mean that their ideas were right.

I'm not bashing those who have believed past ideas, as well as those persons who have put in the time and effort to make those ideas work for them and their fitness goals. But, when something is shown not to work - or better yet, when something new is shown to get results much more effectively - it is really in your best interest to consider those ideas.

I've learned so much in my 4+ years as a trainer. My knowledge base has completely changed from year to year. And that will continue to happen, considering I LOVE to learn, and I love to search for new ways to help all of you! :)

I will continue to be a student for the rest of my years. But I want you to be a student, too. I want you to realize that methods for fitness, nutrition, and health will change over time. We all need to accept that. We need to be willing to change our minds and to try new things.

If you are a true reader of my blog, you should know that by now.
You should practice tolerance of new ideas.
You should understand that information evolves.

Don't stick with old, antiquated ideas because it's all you know. Or because you're scared of the new ones. Take a chance and change your mind!

1 comment:

Rob Sinnott, MS, CSCS said...

awesome post, keep learning and keep teaching!